This is delicious either “sloppy joe” style (on a bun), or just out of a bowl! This recipe makes enough for two large grown adults for dinner, as well as a big part of lunch the next day. Even if you are not vegan or vegetarian, you are bound to love this.
Barbeque Tempeh Ingredients:
- 400g tempeh, chopped up in to small pieces
- 2 cups of barbeque sauce (the recipe I used is below)
- 1 onion, chopped in large pieces
- 2 bell peppers, chopped in large pieces
- 1 onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (or “ketjap” if you happen to live in Holland and have it available…)
- 1 tbsp raw sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
- Fry the onion in a bit of oil until translucent.
- Add in the ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, maple syrup, garlic powder & salt (if needed).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer while you get the tempeh and veggies ready!
- In your stirfry pan, “fry” the tempeh on medium-high heat while tossing frequently. Do this without oil, and you’ll see that the tempeh starts to brown nicely. (This makes for great texture!)
- Once the tempeh is browned, add in your onions and peppers and toss.
- Add the sauce, and continue cooking over medium heat until the onions and peppers get soft.
Browning the tempeh (with bbq sauce simmering on the right):
Adding in the veggies:
Adding in the sauce:
Ready! Serve on bun or by itself in a bowl. We had it just in bowls, but with tortilla on the side to eat with!