- 4 tomatoes, carefully gutted through the top of tomato with a small knife/spoon
- 1 bag of spinach, or a couple of bunches of wild spinach
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup pesto (see recipe)
- 250g of orzo or “risoni”
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C (or 400°F). Grease a small oven pan with a bit of olive oil.
- Prepare orzo as directed on package.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil. As the onion becomes translucent, add in spinach slowly until it all cooks down. Add in the prepared orzo and pesto. Toss until well mixed. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Put the tomatoes in the small baking dish, make sure they are steady enough not to topple over in the oven. Spoon the orzo mixture generously into each tomato.
- In the preheated oven, bake for 15 minutes- or until skin on tomatoes gets soft and starts to break (see photos).
- Let cool, and serve on a bed of the extra orzo!
Notes: You can add other veggies to the orzo (i.e. zucchini, mushrooms). You can also stuff extra tomatoes if you don’t want to serve on a bed of orzo.