We made this on Tuesday, it was supremely delicious and good enough for two meals for two grown adults! (Though I’m sure my mother still doesn’t consider me a grown adult.)
Ingredients (makes 20 falafel patties):
- 2 cans chickpeas
- handful of fresh de-stemmed cilantro (about 1/4-1/2 cup)
- handful of fresh de-stemmed parsley (about 1/4-1/2 cup)
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach (1/2-3/4 cup)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Breadcrumbs (1/4-1/2 cup)
- Breadcrumbs (1/4 cup) and flax seeds (1/4 cup) for rolling the patties in
- Set 1/2 cup of chickpeas aside. Combine the rest of the chickpeas, cilantro, parsley, spinach, garlic powder, onion, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl.
- Blend all ingredients– we used an emulsion blender in the bowl! (Can also use a blender or food processor.) Don’t overdo the blending!
- Add in the whole chickpeas that were set aside (adds some texture!). Add in the breadcrumbs slowly and mix until the chickpea-dough is dry enough to form patties.
- Create small patties, about two inches in diameter. Roll the patties in breadcrumb and flax-seed mixture. (You can omit flax seeds if you don’t have them on hand.) Refrigerate or freeze the patties you don’t plan on eating right away.
- Heat a greased skillet to medium-high heat. Let the falafel patties bake on each side for approximately 5 minutes of the pre-heated skillet, or until browned. (Alternatively, bake in oven pre-heated to 200°C (or 400°F), 10 minutes on each side).
- We served this with sliced avocado, red onion, lettuce, tomato, and cucumber on pita. We also used a vegan-friendly sweet chilli sauce. A fantastic combination of flavors!
- You can also serve the falafel over a salad if you want to omit the pita and go a gluten-free route! Just as delicious!