This was a hit at Thanksgiving as our appetizer. Unfortunately no imagery, but I will be posting pictures the next time we make this!
Ingredients (makes enough for appetizers for 12 people):
- 2 baguettes, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil, for brushing the bread
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the tomato basil bruschetta topping:
- 6 tomatoes, chopped & de-seeded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
For the mushroom & onion bruschetta topping:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8-10 mushrooms of choice, chopped
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 vegetable bouillon block
- 1 tbsp flour
- Arrange all of your slices of baguette face-up side-by-side on cookie sheets. Brush the tops lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & garlic powder.
- Place cookie sheets in oven on grill/broil setting & toast until the edges/tops start to brown (about 4-5 minutes).
- Prepare tomato basil topping: Combine the chopped tomatoes, basil, balsamic vinegar and a dash of salt together.
- Prepare mushroom onion topping: sauté onion in a bit of olive oil. Add in mushrooms. Once mushrooms are soft, add in water & vegetable bouillon. Finally, add in the flour a bit at a time to thicken the sauce. Keep cooking until enough water has evaporated and the mixture is no longer runny.
- Put about a tablespoon of tomato basil mixture on to half of the slices. Put the mushroom onion mix on the other half of the baguette slices.
- Serve immediately!